Today’s work party took place in fine weather, and we were pleased to welcome three new recruits, teachers from one of the West Bridgford primary schools. We planted a further 100 whips along the north-eastern boundary and cleared some of the existing overhanging branches. We also completed our work in the trial planting area by applying geotextile and mulch around the canopy trees we planted there recently. A tree that fell in recent gales narrowly missed the new plants, but some ivy from the fallen tree had to be removed. We took water up to the wood in two jerry cans, and used it to water the canopy trees and some of the whips we planted today. Ian did some more drain digging on muddy sections of the paths.
This work party marked the end of the autumn / winter season at Sharphill, and given our limited resources I think we achieved quite a lot during the last 6 months. We have prepared a trial planting area , towards the southern end of the main path, and planted both canopy and understorey trees to try to take advantage of a significant gap in the existing canopy. We have also planted some 170 whips along about 120 metres of the eastern side of the wood , between the existing boundary and the recently erected fence. This will hopefully form a hedge to strengthen the boundary, and it is our intention to extend the planting southwards next winter. Earlier in the season we carried out sycamore removal and used some of the material for path edging and for dead-hedging along the boundary. Finally, we carried out a number of more minor tasks and have helped, to the best of our ability, clear up some of the mess caused by high winds. Thanks to all who have been involved.
John (work party coordinator)