Sharphill Wood

Sharphill wood is two miles south of Nottingham on the border of West Bridgford and Edwalton.

You can access the wood by walking through The Spinney (a small gravel track) half way up Loughborough Rd near the turning off to Boundary Rd, or from the A52 near the Ruddington Island. There will be no car parking next to the wood in the future, although there are plenty of streets and a church car park at the beginning of Boundary Rd.

For further information about access please fill out the contact page form and we will contact you asap.


View Sharphill Wood in a larger map

The wood is 9.6 ha (23.73 acres) in size and is a mixed broadleaved woodland, with oak and ash being the dominant tree species. The woodland has been designated as a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINC) in recognition of its botanical and zoological interest which includes, amongst others, a number of woodland wildflowers, birds and mammals.

The woodland occurs on heavy red clay soils with a small portion of sand and gravel to the most north westerly corner of the wood.

The oldest record of the wood discovered to date shows the southern-most portion only, in existence in 1835 (Sanderson 1835). By 1887 the wood appears, in its present shape and size, on an Ordnance Survey map (Sheet 46) of 1887 - 1891. At this time it was depicted as a mixed broad-leaved and conifer plantation.

Last year some new rights of way through the wood were formalised. These are signposted.

The wood is surrounded by 29.13 ha (72 acres) of arable farmland. The fields are bounded to the NE and NW by housing developments, to the South by the A52 ring road, to the SE by Wheatcrofts Garden Centre and Business Park and to the West by West Bridgford Cemetery leading to Wilford Hill Wood, a mixed woodland managed by Notts Wildlife Trust.

Thanks to Gaynor Jones Jenkins, Conservation Officer for West Notts (Notts Wildlife Trust) for the facts on Sharphill Wood, and for helping us all the time.